Thursday, October 4, 2012
Matt Ryan is Player of the Month
By Pat Yasinskas
Crank up the "Matt Ryan for MVP" rhetoric. The campaign for the Atlanta Falcons quarterback just got another boost.
Ryan has been named the NFC Offensive player of the Month for September by the NFL. Although he somehow didn’t get any Player of the Week honors, Ryan’s first month of the season didn’t go overlooked.
Here’s what he did in the first month of the season:
- Ryan guided Atlanta to a 4-0 start, the third in franchise history, and led the league with a 112.1 passer rating.
- During September, Ryan completed 102 of 147 passes (69.4 percent) for 1,162 yards with 11 touchdowns versus two interceptions. Ryan’s 11 touchdown passes led the NFC and ranked second in the NFL and his completion percentage was the second-highest mark in the league.
- He recorded a passer rating of at least 100 in all four games during the month. In his career, the Falcons are 27-0 when he reaches the mark. Ryan passed for at least three touchdowns in three games last month and Atlanta is 14-0 in his career when he has three or more TD passes in a game.
- This is the second Player of the Month award for Ryan. He also won in November 2010.
- He is the only player in franchise history to be named Offensive Player of the Month multiple times.