Monday, January 7, 2013
Early numbers on Seahawks-Falcons
By Pat Yasinskas
ESPN Stats & Information just sent out its early preview package on the divisional round playoff game between the Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons. Let’s take a look:
- The Seahawks are 2-8 all-time in road playoff games, including Sunday’s victory at Washington.
- Seattle’s Russell Wilson is only the sixth rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl era to win a playoff game. He has a chance to join Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez as the only rookies to win two playoff games.
- Wilson’s 12 wins this season, including Sunday’s playoff victory, are the third most by a rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl era.
- Wilson has gotten better on the road as the season has gone on. In his first five road games, he threw four touchdowns and eight interceptions. In his last four road games, Wilson has thrown six touchdowns and zero interceptions.
- The Falcons have won the last three meetings between the two teams, including a 30-28 victory in Seattle last season.
- Since the arrival of coach Mike Smith and quarterback Matt Ryan in 2008, the Falcons are 56-24 in the regular season. Only New England has a better record in that span. But the Falcons haven’t won in the postseason with Smith and Ryan.
- The last time the Falcons won a playoff game was against the Rams in the 2004 divisional playoffs.
- Ryan’s record in the Georgia Dome (including the postseason) is 33-6.
- In the final three games of the regular season, Ryan threw eight touchdown passes and zero interceptions.