Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Quick hits from Mike Smith
By Pat Yasinskas
Atlanta coach Mike Smith just finished his Wednesday news conference. There was no earth-shattering news, but let’s run through a bunch of little nuggets.
- Smith said defensive end John Abraham, who aggravated an ankle injury in Sunday’s win against Seattle, practiced on a limited basis. Defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux also was limited and cornerback Christopher Owens (hamstring) did not practice. Safety William Moore fully participated in practice, but is on the injury report with a hand injury.
- As is his custom, Smith had plenty of praise for the opponent. He said San Francisco has the best offensive line and linebacker corps the Falcons have gone against this season.
- Last week, Smith compared Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson to Fran Tarkenton. On Wednesday, he compared San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick to a current player -- Carolina’s Cam Newton. Smith said Kaepernick has size and agility comparable to Newton.
- Smith said that in studying the 49ers, they’ve been allowing Kaepernick do more things every week since he took over as the starter.
- The Falcons moved their practice indoors Wednesday due to inclement weather. Smith said the only thing the Falcons weren’t able to work on was their punting game.