Friday, March 15, 2013
Steven Jackson by the numbers
By Pat Yasinskas
A day after the fact, Atlanta’s signing of running back Steven Jackson continues to be the hottest story in the NFC South.
I don’t see that changing anytime soon, unless the Tampa Bay Buccaneers suddenly make a trade for Darrelle Revis. So let’s feed the Jackson talk a little more with some by-the-numbers nuggets from ESPN Stats & Information.
- The three-time Pro Bowler has rushed for 1,000 yards in eight consecutive seasons. Only Emmitt Smith (11 straight seasons), Curtis Martin (10 straight) and Barry Sanders (10 straight) have longer streaks than Jackson.
- Jackson is a receiving threat out of the backfield. He has had seven seasons with 1,000 rushing yards and 300 receiving yards. LaDainian Tomlinson and Walter Payton, who each accomplished that feat eight times, are the only players to do that more than Jackson.
- Jackson can make things happen after contact. Over the past four seasons, Jackson has run for 2,172 yards after contact. Adrian Peterson (2,918 yards) is the only player with more yards after contact in that span.
- Among active running backs, Jackson ranks first with 2,395 career carries, first with 10,135 rushing yards and is tied for fifth with 56 touchdowns.
- Also, in this Insider post, Football Outsiders takes an in-depth look at what Jackson brings to the Falcons.