Friday, August 23, 2013
#NFLRank Nos. 51-60
By Pat Yasinskas
The latest installment of #NFLRank (Nos. 51-60) is out and the NFC South has one player on the offense and two players on the defense. Let’s take a look.
51. Tampa Bay running back Doug Martin
Stats & Info: Martin had 1,926 yards from scrimmage last season, the third-most by a rookie in NFL history behind Eric Dickerson and Edgerrin James. In Week 9, Martin became the first player in NFL history with three rushing TDs of 45-plus yards in single game
Yasinskas comment: This ranking might be a little too low for Martin. He had a great rookie season and is only going to get better.
51. Tampa Bay defensive tackle Gerald McCoy
Stats & Info: Since drafting McCoy in 2010, the Buccaneers defense has allowed 4 yards per rush with him on the field and 5 yards per rush when he is off the field.
Yasinskas comment: McCoy stayed healthy last year and ended up making the Pro Bowl. As long as he stays healthy, McCoy is one of the league’s best defensive tackles.
55. Carolina defensive end Charles Johnson
Stats & Info: Johnson led all defensive linemen in the league with seven forced fumbles last season. He also had 12.5 sacks, third among defensive linemen behind J.J. Watt (20.5) and Cameron Wake (15.0).
Yasinskas comment: Johnson has made Carolina fans forget all about Julius Peppers.
NFC South showing to date:
65. New Orleans wide receiver Marques Colston
70. Carolina center Ryan Kalil
71. Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith
86. New Orleans guard Ben Grubbs
87. Atlanta running back Steven Jackson
98. Carolina offensive tackle Jordan Gross
100. Carolina quarterback Cam Newton
80. Atlanta cornerback Asante Samuel
86. Atlanta linebacker Sean Weatherspoon
93. Atlanta safety William Moore
96. Atlanta defensive end Osi Umenyiora
97. Tampa Bay safety Mark Barron
98. Tampa Bay linebacker Lavonte David