Friday, May 16, 2014
Hardy's $1.3M advance not impacted yet
By David Newton
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The $1.3 million advance the Carolina Panthers agreed to pay Greg Hardy to attend the entire offseason workout program hasn't been impacted -- so far -- by the defensive end's absence due to legal issues, according to a source.
Hardy was arrested Tuesday on charges of domestic violence against Nicole Holder, a 24-year-old woman with whom he has had a relationship with since September. He spent Tuesday night in jail and wasn't released until midday Wednesday.
At that point, Hardy and agent Drew Rosenhaus arrived at Bank of America Stadium to meet with team officials.
Middle linebacker Luke Kuechly, who was at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Thursday preparing to be the honorary pace car driver for Saturday night's Sprint All-Star race, told the Charlotte Observer Hardy had not been at workouts this week.
Panthers coach Ron Rivera declined to discuss Hardy during Friday's rookie minicamp, but he did note that organized team activities are voluntary. They won't become mandatory until the first week in June.
The Panthers apparently are willing to work with Hardy on his guarantee -- a tenth of the $13.1 million Hardy was guaranteed when Carolina put the franchise tag on him -- while he gets his legal issues in order. A year ago, Hardy lost $100,000 in salary for not participating in at least 90 percent of the team's offseason workout programs in 2012 and 2013.
Nobody has said this, but I would suspect Hardy will attend most -- if not all -- of the mandatory sessions, including a June 17-19 minicamp. His next court date is set for June 27, and the Panthers probably don't want his first appearance at a practice to be in training camp.
"There are allegations that he has to deal with," Gettleman said in a brief comment on Hardy. "It's in the legal system and we are concerned for all parties."