Monday, August 11, 2014
Buccaneers Camp Report: Day 13
By Pat Yasinskas
TAMPA, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp:
- Prior to Monday, the Bucs had a remarkable streak good weather during practices. The first practice of camp was interrupted and cut short by lightning. But there hadn't been any issues since then -- until Monday. A heavy rainstorm moved in with about 50 minutes left in the scheduled practice time. There was no lightning, so the Bucs kept practicing. They did cut practice about a half hour short by cutting some work on special teams and the two-minute drill. But coach Lovie Smith said it was important for his squad to get some work in the rain. "Guys know that's a part of life down here," Smith said. "Every day we've gone out to practice there's been the threat of rain. That's what we use it for. You try to prepare for the season. Odds are we're going to have a couple of wet days, so you have to take advantage of it."
- The Bucs had been bringing rookie tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins along very slowly. He still was listed as fourth string on the latest depth chart, which came out Monday. But it was obvious from Monday's practice that Seferian-Jenkins was getting a lot of work with the first team. "He's warranted more time moving up through the ranks," Smith said. "He's got a great future ahead of him. He's got good size, he can still work on his blocking, he has excellent hands, so he's in our plans."
- Smith made it quite clear that special teams will play a heavy role as the team cuts down its roster in the coming weeks. "If you're one of our starters, you have an idea probably if you are or not," Smith said. "If you're not, it has to be more. It has to be about special teams too. Skill positions -- wide receiver, tight end, running backs, corner, linebacker, those backup positions you have to have special teams value also." That's why I keep saying wide receiver Tommy Streeter, who's had an excellent camp, isn't a shoe-in to make the roster because he's not a regular on special teams.
- Defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, defensive end Steven Means, cornerback Rashaan Melvin, Jenkins and cornerback Keith Lewis missed practice due to injuries.
- The Bucs are scheduled to practice at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. The players will be off Wednesday and the final practice of training camp is scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday.