NFC South: Greg Lloyd
April, 25, 2011
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
Every year just before the draft, the NFL sends out a list of prospects with family who played in the league. This year’s class has some NFC South ties, so let’s take a look.
- Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward: Father Craig “Ironhead’’ Heyward played for the New Orleans Saints from 1988 through 1992 and for the Atlanta Falcons from 1994 through 1996.
- California running back Shane Vereen: Father, Henry, was drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers in ninth round in 1979.
- Connecticut linebacker Greg Lloyd: Father, Greg, was a longtime NFL linebacker and spent 1998 with the Carolina Panthers.
- Virginia Tech defensive back Rock Carmichael: Cousin Derrick Hamilton was a wide receiver with Tampa Bay in 2007.
- And let’s take this one step further. Since it still looks like Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will be the top pick by the Panthers, let’s take a look at his family ties to the NFL. His father, Cecil Sr., spent training camp with Dallas in 1984 and Buffalo in 1985. His brother, Cecil Jr., was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2009.
BACK TO TOP