NFC South: Mike Anderson
November, 5, 2012
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
With the help of ESPN Stats & Information, Elias Sports Bureau and the Tampa Bay media relations staff, it’s time for some statistical superlatives on the Buccaneers 42-32 victory against Oakland on Sunday.
- Rookie running back Doug Martin rushed for 251 yards and four touchdowns. The 251 rushing yards are tied for third-most by a rookie in NFL history. Oh yeah, we should add that Martin had 265 rushing yards before losing 14 yards on three carries on the game’s final drive. Adrian Peterson (296 yards in a 2007 game) and DeMarco Murray (253 yards in a game last year) are the only rookies to rush for more yards in a game than Martin.
- Martin’s rushing total also set a franchise record (James Wilder’s 219 yards in a 1983 game were the previous record) and his four rushing touchdowns also set a new team standard.
- Martin became the first player in NFL history with three rushing touchdowns of 45 or more yards in a game.
- Martin and Mike Anderson (in 2000) are the only players ever to rush for 250 yards and four touchdowns in a game.
- Martin rushed for 268 yards when the Bucs lined up a lead blocker in the backfield, including 215 yards before first contact. He had -17 yards on six carries on which he didn’t have a lead blocker.
- All totaled, Martin gained 197 of his yards before contact. That’s the second-most yards before contact over the past four seasons. James Harrison had 235 yards before contact in a 2009 game.
- Josh Freeman passed for 247 yards and two touchdowns. He’s only the third quarterback in franchise history to throw for a touchdown pass in each of the first eight games of the season. Brad Johnson in 2003 and Doug Williams in 1979 were the other two.
- Over the last four games, Freeman has thrown for 11 touchdowns and one interception. I’m sensing a big contract extension after the season.
- Freeman had a 108.6 NFL passer rating and now has recorded four straight games with a passer rating over 100.
- Tampa Bay’s 515 yards from scrimmage ranks second on the team’s all-time list. The record is 573 in a 1980 game against Minnesota.
- The Bucs now have eight plays with 60 yards or more this season. That’s a franchise record and they’ve only played eight games.
- The victory was the first time the Bucs ever have defeated the Raiders on the road. (They’re now 1-5 when visiting the Raiders).
- Rookie linebacker Lavonte David continues to excel. He had two tackles for losses to bring his season total to a team-leading 11. He also posted a career-high 16 tackles.