NFC South: Renaldo Nehemiah
August, 16, 2012
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
As we wait for an announcement on which NFL team Jeff Demps will sign with, let’s take a look at how some other former Olympians fared when they went on to play in the NFL, with some help from ESPN Stats & Information.
- Bob Hayes won a gold medal in Tokyo in 1964. He went on to have a Hall of Fame career with the Dallas Cowboys.
- Hurdler Renaldo Nehemiah had a three-year career with the San Francisco 49ers.
- The list isn’t limited to sprinters. Michael Carter won a silver medal in the shot put in 1984 and then went on to play nine years at nose tackle for the 49ers.
- Ron Brown was a gold-medal sprinter in 1984. He then became a kick returner for the Rams and led the league in kick return touchdowns in 1985.
- Willie Gault was on the 1980 Olympic team, but didn’t get to compete because of the U.S. boycott. He spent 11 years as a return man and receiver in the NFL.
- James Jett won a gold medal in Barcelona in 1992. He then went on to score 30 touchdowns in a 10-year NFL career.
BACK TO TOP