49ers Camp Report: Day 12
August, 9, 2014
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of the San Francisco 49ers training camp:
- Both 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and his brother John Harbaugh, the coach of the Ravens, were emphatic about downplaying the possibility for skirmishes to break out in the three days of workouts between the two teams. Jim Harbaugh simply said he didn’t anticipate any fights. John Harbaugh got a tad snippy when asked about the subject. Both men had to be pleased with what they saw on the first day of three joint practices in full pads. Was there an occasional push and shove? It was an NFL practice -- of course there was some activity. But nothing got out of control. Jack Harbaugh, the father of the two coaches and a football lifer, said it was a tribute to the players that they practiced “respectfully.”
- The 49ers passing offense, led by quarterback Colin Kaepernick, had a productive day. Among the standouts at receiver were Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington and Devon Wylie and tight ends Vernon Davis and Derek Carrier.
- A famous Baltimore yapper, linebacker Terrell Suggs, seemed to enjoy have a different team to talk to/at. He was giving it to the 49ers’ linemen and Kaepernick pretty good at times.
- Among those not practicing were tight end Vance McDonald (no reason given) and defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye (ankle). Earlier in the day, Jim Harbaugh praised McDonald’s play in Thursday night’s’ game. He made two catches in the game.
- Defensive tackle DeMarcus Dobbs, who left Thursday's game with an ankle injury, practiced Saturday.
- Carlos Hyde looked good again Saturday. It’s no surprise. The rookie running back has had a great camp and he had 39 yards on five carries in a starting role Thursday night.
- In addition to Jack Harbaugh, there were many Harbaugh family members at the Ravens’ facility for the practice Saturday. The family spent time together Friday night at John Harbaugh’s house and celebrated two family birthdays.
- Asked if he is similar to his brother, Jim Harbaugh had a classic Jim Harbaugh response: “Raised in the same house. Ate the same food. Came from the same mother. Lived in the same room for 16 years. There’s bound to be some similarities, I would think.”
- The Ravens made the 49ers feel at home by painting their logo on the practice field.
- Starting cornerback Chris Culliver said he came out of Thursday night’s game in good shape. It was his first game back after suffering a torn ACL last August. He said he took a hit near his knee from Ravens’ receiver Steve Smith and felt fine afterward.
- The 49ers signed receiver Lance Lewis. He was with Washington and Dallas the past two seasons. Receiver Chuck Jacobs, who was on the practice squad last season, was waived-injured. The 49ers will likely put him on the injured reserve if he clears waivers. Jacobs hurt his knee on a return Thursday night against the Ravens.
- Lewis, who had a nice catch Saturday, is likely just an August body because the 49ers are banged up at the position with Michael Crabtree and Brandon Lloyd nursing injuries. Lloyd participated in some of the workout Saturday.
- The 49ers work out with the Ravens on Sunday at noon ET.