Seahawks Camp Report: Day 12
August, 10, 2014
By Terry Blount | ESPN.com
A daily review of the hot topics coming out of the Seattle Seahawks training camp:
- When asked about the battle for the third tight end job, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll had plenty of praise for Cooper Helfet, who had another good day Sunday, including a one-handed grab on a crossing route and a diving TD catch in the end zone. Cooper really is an extraordinary catcher and he showed it again [Sunday],’’ Carroll said. ‘‘This is his third year in our system and he really had done everything we asked of him.”
- Nickel cornerback Jeremy Lane probably had his best day of camp on Sunday. Lane broke up a sideline pass from Terrelle Pryor that was intended for Percy Harvin. Lane also broke up a deep pass in the corner of the end that was intended for Harvin.
- Carroll also had high praise for outside linebacker Mike Morgan: ‘This is the best camp he’s ever had,” Carroll said. “He is stronger and faster than he’s ever been in his career.
- Thursday's preseason opener at Denver was a rough one for the Seattle offensive line, but Carroll praised the play that night of two men up front -- rookie right tackle Justin Britt and guard/center Stephen Schilling.
- Defensive tackle Brandon Mebane continues to be a force inside, including a sack on Russell Wilson Sunday.
- Cornerback Byron Maxwell had an easy interception in the end zone on a Terrelle Pryor pass intended for receiver Chris Matthews, who either ran the wrong route or Pryor threw the ball in the wrong spot. But two plays later Pryor threw a TD to tight end Luke Wilson on a similar play in the end zone.
- Harvin showed his speed once again he out-ran defenders down the sideline for a 20-yard gain after catch on a quick hitch pass from Russell Wilson.
- The Seahawks made a couple roster moves Sunday, waiving linebacker Mike Taylor and re-signing cornerback Trey Wolfe, who made one of the best plays of the day. Wolfe was covering rookie receiver Paul Richardson on a deep sideline pass, no easy task considering Richardson's speed. But Wolfe leaped near the goal line and intercepted to pass thrown by Tarvaris Jackson.
- The Seahawks also waived rookie safety Dion Bailey off IR after reaching an injury settlement.
- The Seahawks' players have Monday off before returning to the practice field Tuesday morning. Tuesday is the final training-camp practice open to the public, but all the tickets are sold.