Cardinals Camp Report: Day 14
August, 13, 2014
By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com
GLENDALE, Ariz. – A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Arizona Cardinals training camp:
- Rookie defensive tackle Bruce Gaston left practice early after trainers and doctors examined his left knee. He walked off the field late in practice and then took a knee on the sideline before sitting on the ground. A trainer put his knee through a series of movements and Gaston stood before being examined again on the ground.
- Nose tackle Dan Williams did not practice, leaving the Cardinals without their top two nose tackles yet again in practice.
- Rookie kicker Chandler Catanzaro had the kicking duties all to himself Wednesday. He went 8-for-9, only missing from 47 yards. He won’t be kicking Saturday. Veteran Jay Feely will handle the kicking against the Vikings.
- During Catanzaro’s kicking period, the Cardinals worked on final-minute scenarios when a 10-second runoff is enacted with 11 seconds left, meaning Arizona would have a second to snap the ball from the moment it’s placed at the line. Catanzaro made the 47-yard kick.
- Arizona’s defense had a good day picking off the quarterbacks. Safety Tony Jefferson had one early in the practice off a throw by Carson Palmer intended for John Brown. Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander tipped a Drew Stanton pass which was then picked off by Curtis Taylor. And Teddy William intercepted Ryan Lindley toward the end of practice.
- Despite his interception, Palmer found a rhythm during 11-on-11 drills. He hit Larry Fitzgerald on a touchdown pass that went through three defensive backs and a couple of plays later, he threw a perfect fade to Brittan Golden in the back left corner of the end zone.
- Rookie linebacker Glenn Carson found out what it’s like to be hit by running back Robert Hughes, who bulldozed through Carson’s tackle on the goal line during 11-on-11 drills.
- Injury report: Injury report: G Jonathan Cooper (toe), T Nate Potter(back), LB Kevin Minter (pec), WR Michael Floyd (groin), WR Ted Ginn(knee) and C Lyle Sendlein (calf) did not practice.
- The Cardinals’ last practice before heading to Minnesota for Saturday’s game against the Vikings is 2-4:30 p.m. Thursday. Admission and parking are free.