49ers Camp Report: Day 15
August, 13, 2014
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – A daily review of the hot topics coming out of the San Francisco 49ers training camp:
- While the San Francisco 49ers got some good injury news regarding their defensive front, there was also plenty of other injury-related news Wednesday.
Receiver Michael Crabtree (hamstring) did some work, but is not quite ready to practice fully. The 49ers have described his injury as minor. Linebacker Patrick Willis missed Wednesday’s practice for an undisclosed reason.
Backup running back/returner LaMichael James practiced some for the first time in 17 days since dislocating his elbow for the third time since high school. James wore a brace and did some light work. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he doesn’t play in the rest of the preseason. But his presence on the field Wednesday was a good sign of his availability for Week 1 at Dallas.
Like James, tight end Vance McDonald was wearing a blue non-contact jersey. It was his first practice since the preseason opener six days ago for an undisclosed reason.
- Jonathan Martin was not at practice for a personal reason. He had been working with the first unit at right tackle as Anthony Davis recovers from offseason shoulder surgery. Adam Snyder is still out after a suffering minor knee injury Sunday at Baltimore. With those players out, backup offensive lineman Ryan Seymour worked with the first team Wednesday. Seymour has a chance to stick.
- Cornerback Perrish Cox had a beautiful interception of Quinton Patton in the end zone. Cox has had a nice camp and the 49ers might have a difficult time not keeping him the 53-man roster, especially since he can play nickel.
- Rookie cornerback Kenneth Acker had his best day of the summer with two picks. The sixth-round pick may have a difficult time making the roster because of a number’s game.
- Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said both Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier could get playing time if star outside linebacker Aldon Smith misses time due an NFL suspension. Smith is expected to hear soon from the league if he is going to be disciplined for several off-field issues.
- Fangio said starting cornerback Tramaine Brock is not expected to play Sunday against Denver. Brock has missed two weeks with an ankle injury and worked out some Wednesday. It is not considered serious and he will be ready for the start of the regular season. Brock was excelling when he was hurt.
- Fangio said he loved the 49ers’ three workouts with the Ravens during the weekend. Fangio said if it were up to him he’d conduct two different practice sessions with another team in training camp. He said the opportunity to face different players and different schemes is invaluable.
- Running back Marcus Lattimore continued to look good working on the side. There is no word when the 49ers are planning to activate the 2013 fourth-round pick, who suffered a horrific knee injury in 2012.
- Receiver Devon Wylie, who was on the practice squad last season, has had a good camp. But there is likely no room for him on the 53-man roster.
- Receiver David Reed had to leave practice with a finger issue, but returned.
- The 49ers are off Thursday. They practice at Levi’s Stadium at 5 p.m. PT Friday.