Hawks show off new facility
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
RENTON, Wash. -- The Seahawks' new facility on the shores of Lake Washington marks a dramatic upgrade over its predecessor, to the point that it should help the team in free agency.
The team recently finished practicing on its manicured outdoor fields, the lake in the background and with dream homes lining the far shore. This is a palace. Coach Mike Holmgren talked about possibly driving to work ... in his boat. No team in the division boasts a facility like this.
Now, on to more important matters. Specifically, a few notes and observations from practice:
- At receiver: Jordan Kent dropped two passes today, including one when he was wide open over the middle. He lost focus and bobbled the ball before losing it. Kent caught another pass against his body, not with his hands. Logan Payne wore a wrap on his rib injury as he watched practice. Joel Filani dropped a pass after slipping on the grass. Bryan Gilmore bobbled and dropped a pass along the left sideline after getting open between a linebacker and defensive back. Michael Bumpus dropped a pass.
- Also at receiver: With Payne and Deion Branch injured, Kent, Nate Burleson, Bobby Engram and Ben Obomanu worked in the four-receiver offense.
- Safety Jordan Babineaux and offensive lineman Floyd Womack each could miss about one week with knee injuries, coach Mike Holmgren said. Both underwent MRI exams recently.
- Defensive end Patrick Kerney is wearing a walking boot on his lower left leg. Kerney is resting a calf injury.
- Burleson served as the primary punt returner.
- The Seahawks placed linebacker Wesly Mallard on injured reserve. They signed former University of Washington cornerback Derrick Johnson, who promptly left practice with an injury to his left leg.
- Seattle held what amounted to a walk-through following practice in preparation for its exhibition game at Minnesota.
- Julius Jones picked up the blitz effectively from Seattle's familiar one-back, three-receiver offense. Justin Forsett, though impressive as a runner, can be vulnerable in those situations. Linebacker David Hawthorne blasted through him on one rush.
- Kevin Hobbs jumped a pass for Courtney Taylor, but he couldn't quite pick it off.
- Holmgren declined to reveal his quarterback rotation for the exhibition opener, but expect to see plenty of Seneca Wallace.
- Holmgren's agent, Bob LaMonte, was among those in attendance for the first practice at the new facility.
- Linebacker Leroy Hill tipped a pass, allowing safety Brian Russell to gather an interception.