Roided-out rosters: Updated for Cardinals
The Cardinals kept promising tackle Elliot Vallejo over backup center Pat Ross. They released former 49ers linebacker Brandon Moore and kept safety Oliver Celestin.
Otherwise, their initial 53-man roster looks very much like the one scraped together earlier today. I've made the appropriate changes to the suggested Cardinals roster.
This team appears to have improved depth in the defensive front seven. An injury at center or tackle could prove costly for the offensive line.
The receiving situation should remain among the best in the league even without Bryant Johnson. Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin won't need much help if they're healthy and the line provides adequate pass protection.
I've updated the roided-out rosters to reflect the Cardinals' cuts today. Download here if you can't wait for future versions showing the Rams' and Seahawks' cuts.
With that, we take a position-by-position look at the Cardinals' roster as it stands:
- Keepers (3) -- Kurt Warner, Matt Leinart, Brian St. Pierre
- Missed cut (1) -- Anthony Morelli
- Key issue -- Will coach Ken Whisenhunt name Warner or Leinart to start?
- Keepers (5) -- J.J. Arrington, Edgerrin James, Tim Hightower, Terrelle Smith, Tim Castille
- Missed cut (2) -- Chris Vincent, Steve Baylark
- Key issue -- Hightower appears ready to siphon off some of James' carries. Can he handle the finer points of the position, notably pass protection? And can he stop fumbling? Rookie runners can have a hard time protecting the football. Hightower's slippery fingers might make coaches nervous. James remains a workhorse, but he won't get far even if he makes the first defender miss.
- Keepers (6) -- Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, Early Doucet, Anquan Boldin, Jerheme Urban, Sean Morey
- Missed cut (2) -- Jamaica Rector, Lance Long
- Key issue -- Can Breaston function as a quality third receiver? Doucet's hamstring injury forced him to miss much of camp. Is his rookie season a wash?
- Keepers (3) -- Leonard Pope, Jerame Tuman, Ben Patrick
- Missed cut (2) -- Alex Shor, Brent Miller
- Key issue -- The Cardinals still aren't sure if they have a quality all-around tight end. Pope has worked hard to improve. A high ankle sprain hurt Patrick during camp.
- Keepers (9) -- Al Johnson, Elton Brown, Lyle Sendlein, Mike Gandy, Brandon Keith, Reggie Wells, Levi Brown, Elliot Vallejo, Deuce Lutui
- Missed cut (5) -- Peter Clifford, Pat Ross, Kelly Butler, Carlton Medder, Jasper Harvey
- Key issue -- The depth here is problematic. Coaches think Vallejo has potential.
- Keepers (7) -- Alan Branch, Darnell Dockett, Kenny Iwebema, Calais Campbell, Antonio Smith, Bryan Robinson, Gabe Watson
- Missed cut (3) -- Jason Banks, Keilen Dykes, Joe Tafoya
- Key issue -- Can Berry and LaBoy hold up physically? How serious is the injury Branch suffered Friday night? How much does Robinson have left at age 34?
- Keepers (8) -- Travis LaBoy, Bert Berry, Clark Haggans, Gerald Hayes, Chike Okeafor, Ali Highsmith, Karlos Dansby, Monty Beisel
- Missed cut (3) -- Matt Stewart, Brandon Moore, Chris Harrington
- Key issue -- Can Okeafor hold up? He missed the 2007 regular season. Beisel's back injury prevented him from competing early in camp.
- Keepers (9) -- Antrel Rolle, Adrian Wilson, Eric Green, Roderick Hood, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Oliver Celestin, Aaron Francisco, Ralph Brown, Matt Ware
- Missed cut (4) -- DeMario Minter, Michael Adams, Dennis Keyes, Travarous Bain.
- Key issue -- What happens if Rolle isn't the answer at safety?