Power rankings: How the voters voted
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
The Chargers, Vikings and Raiders defied easy characterization in the ESPN.com power rankings for Week 2, released Tuesday.
And if the Bills had upset the Patriots on Monday night, perhaps there would have been a shakeup in the top three.
The Titans, at No. 9, were the highest-ranked team with an 0-1 record, followed by the Bears at No. 15. The 18th-ranked 49ers were the only team ranked below the team they defeated in Week 1.
A look inside the rankings ...
Rising: The Jets jumped seven spots to 16th. The Saints jumped six spots from 18th to 12th. The 49ers and Cowboys each rose four spots. The Raiders and Broncos rose three apiece. The Vikings, Falcons, Lions, Colts and Seahawks each rose one spot.
Falling: Carolina plummeted eight spots to No. 22, easily the most dramatic fall from Week 1. Jeff Chadiha knocked them down 15 spots in his rankings. The Texans, Bears and Cardinals each fell four spots. The Bucs and Dolphins fell three. The Bengals and Titans fell two. The Chargers and Chiefs fell one, as did the Rams, who settled into the No. 32 spot.
Unchanged: Ten teams' rankings remained unchanged from Week 1, including the top four.
Deadlocked: Voting produced no ties this week.
Groupthink: All four voters ranked the Steelers first. All four ranked the Giants third or fourth and the Rams 31st or 32nd.
Agree to disagree: The Chargers, Raiders and Vikings generated the widest gap between highest and lowest votes. Thirteen teams generated disagreements at least five spots wide:
- Chargers (11): John Clayton ranked them second, higher than any voter ranked them. Chadiha ranked them 13th, lower than any voter ranked them.
- Raiders (10): Chadiha 25th, Clayton and Paul Kuharsky 30th.
- Vikings (10): Clayton third, Kuharsky 13th.
- Redskins (9): Clayton 16th, Chadiha 25th.
- 49ers (8): Chadiha 14th, Kuharsky 22nd.
- Broncos (8): Mike Sando 20th, Kuharsky 28th.
- Titans (8): Kuharsky fourth, Clayton 12th.
- Cardinals (8): Kuharsky 11th, Clayton and Chadiha 19th.
- Cowboys (7): Chadiha 10th, Kuharsky 17th.
- Bills (7): Chadiha 17th, Clayton and Kuharsky 24th.
- Bears (7): Sando and Clayton 14th, Chadiha 21st.
- Browns (6): Clayton 25th, Kuharsky 31st.
- Panthers (5): Kuharsky 19th, Sando 24th.
A voter-by-voter look at changes of at least four spots since the Week 1 rankings:
Sando: Jets (+7), Broncos (+6), Raiders (+6), Titans (+4), Saints (+4), 49ers (+4), Bills (+4), Texans (-4), Bears (-5), Cardinals (-5), Panthers (-10)
Clayton: Saints (+6), Jets (+6), 49ers (+6), Cowboys (+5), Broncos (+5), Cardinals (-5), Bengals (-6), Panthers (-7)
Kuharsky: Jets (+5)
Chadiha: Jets (+9), 49ers (+8), Packers (+7), Saints (+7), Raiders (+7), Chargers (-4), Titans (-4), Redskins (-5), Cardinals (-6), Bears (-6), Texans (-7), Dolphins (-7), Panthers (-15)For download: an Excel file -- available here or here -- showing how each voter voted this week and in past weeks. It includes a "powerflaws" sheet pointing out potential flaws in voters' thinking by showing how many higher-ranked opponents each team has defeated. A quick primer:
- Column Y features team rankings.
- Column Z shows how many times a team has defeated higher-ranked teams.
- Change the rankings in column Y as you see fit.
- Re-sort column Y in ascending order (1 to 32) using the standard Excel pull-down menu atop the column.
- The information in column Z, which reflects potential ranking errors, will change (with the adjusted total highlighted in yellow atop the column).
- The lower the figure in that yellow box, the fewer conflicts.