Power rankings: How the voters voted
The Ravens shot to the top of ESPN.com's NFL power rankings for Week 3 after they won impressively, and five of the six highest-ranked teams from the previous week lost Sunday.
Baltimore rose nine spots, edging the Jets for the largest improvement from Week 2.
The chart shows team-by-team votes for all four ESPN.com panelists (left to right: me, John Clayton, Paul Kuharsky and Jeff Chadiha).
A look inside the rankings ...
Rising: The Ravens rose nine spots to first. The Jets rose eight to eighth. The Texans rose sixth to 17th. The Saints and 49ers jumped five spots. The Broncos rose four. The Falcons and Vikings rose three apiece. The Bengals and Colts each rose two places. The Bears, Giants, Raiders and Bucs rose one.
Falling: The Seahawks and Patriots each dropped eight places following tough defeats. The Titans fell seven. The Chargers, Steelers and Eagles each fell five spots. The Redskins and Panthers each fell three places. The Jaguars and Cowboys dropped two. The Packers, Browns and Cardinals fell one apiece.
Unchanged: Rankings for the Bills, Lions, Chiefs, Dolphins and Rams remained unchanged.
Deadlocked: We broke no ties this week.
Groupthink: Three panelists ranked the Steelers fifth. Three ranked the Saints seventh. Three panelists ranked the Titans 16th.
Agree to disagree: The Broncos generated the widest gap -- 10 spots -- between highest and lowest votes. Seven other teams generated disparities of at least six spots:
- Broncos (10): Chadiha ranked them 14th, higher than any voter ranked them. Clayton and Kuharsky ranked them 24th, lower than any voter ranked them.
- Cardinals (7): Sando 14th, Chadiha 21st.
- Packers (7): Kuharsky 10th, Sando 17th.
- Chargers (7): Kuharsky eighth, Chadiha 15th.
- Vikings (6): Chadiha second, Sando eighth.
- Colts (6): Sando and Clayton second, Chadiha eighth.
- Bears (6): Sando 11th, Chadiha 17th.
- Redskins (6): Clayton 19th, Chadiha 25th.
A voter-by-voter look at changes of at least six spots since the Week 2 rankings:
Sando: Ravens (+10), Jets (+9), Texans (+8), Saints (+6), Bengals (+6), Eagles (-6), Chargers (-6), Cowboys (-6), Patriots (-7), Packers (-8), Seahawks (-8), Titans (-9)
Clayton: Jets (+10), Ravens (+7), Texans (+6), Chargers (-11)
Kuharsky: 49ers (+10), Vikings (+7), Jets (+7), Ravens (+6), Texans (+6), Cardinals (-6), Panthers (-7), Patriots (-11), Titans (-12)
Chadiha: Broncos (+10), Jets (+10), Saints (+8), Raiders (-6), Eagles (-6), Steelers (-6), Titans (-7), Patriots (-8), Seahawks (-8)For download: An Excel file -- available here or here -- showing how each voter voted this week and in past weeks.
The file includes a "powerflaws" sheet pointing out potential flaws in voters' thinking by showing how many higher-ranked opponents each team has defeated. For example, the Steelers rank higher than the Bears even after losing to Chicago. The Texans rank lower than the Titans after beating them. The Bengals rank lower than the Packers despite beating them. And so on.
A quick primer on the powerflaws sheet:
- Column Y features team rankings.
- Column Z shows how many times a team has defeated higher-ranked teams.
- Change the rankings in column Y as you see fit.
- Re-sort column Y in ascending order (1 to 32) using the standard Excel pull-down menu atop the column.
- The information in column Z, which reflects potential ranking errors, will change (with the adjusted total highlighted in yellow atop the column).
- The lower the figure in that yellow box, the fewer conflicts.