Quick look at turnover differential and more
September, 22, 2009
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
A few people have asked for stats on turnover differential. I've put together a file breaking down takeaways, giveaways and turnover differential.
I've also added offensive and defensive stat sheets ranking NFL teams in 19 categories on each side of the ball. Download here. These are initially sorted by yards per rush gained and allowed, but you can sort each column to your liking.
A few highlights with an eye toward the NFC West:
- Seattle is the only team in the division with a negative turnover differential.
- The 49ers have three interceptions, tied for fifth-most in the league. That puts the team on pace to double its 2008 total of 12. I spoke with Dashon Goldson about this Monday. He loved getting that first interception out of the way early in the season.
- The Rams and 49ers are among five teams that have not thrown an interception.
- The Seahawks, who moved Jordan Babineaux into the lineup at safety for greater playmaking potential, are among seven teams that have yet to intercept a pass. As noted, their first two opponents haven't thrown any.
- The Cardinals rank tied for second among NFL teams in opponents' fumbles recovered. They led the NFL in that category with 17 last season.
- The Cardinals and 49ers rank among the top four in rushing yards allowed per play. Seattle is 32nd.
- The Seahawks lead the NFL in third-down and red-zone defense. They rank among the top three on defense in passing yards per game, passing yards per play, sacks per pass attempt, first downs allowed per game and points allowed per game.