Around the NFC West: The odd QB out?

May, 8, 2012
5/08/12
9:18
AM ET
Life changed for Tarvaris Jackson when the Seattle Seahawks signed Matt Flynn and drafted Russell Wilson.

It's an upset, in my view, if Jackson remains with the team beyond his current contract, which runs through 2012. But it's also a little premature to suggest the team's offseason moves at the position will force out Jackson before the season. First the team needs to see what it has in Flynn and Wilson.

Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times thinks Jackson will remain with the team this season. O'Neil: "Seattle has not settled its quarterback situation. Not by a long shot. What the Seahawks have done is expand -- and hopefully improve -- the array of options they have with the immediate goal of improved quarterback play in 2012 and a long-term starter down the road. Maybe it is Flynn, who has passed for more yards in his first two NFL regular-season starts than all but one player in NFL history. Or perhaps it's Wilson, an incredible athlete who started for two different colleges in the previous two years in addition to playing professional baseball. And maybe -- just maybe -- it comes from Jackson who is recovered from the strained pectoral muscle that limited him the final 10 games of last season. Maybe he comes in for his second season in Seattle, cuts it loose and starts making plays in the fourth quarter." Noted: Josh Portis has practice-squad eligibility. Going with Flynn as the starter, Jackson as the backup and Wilson as the developmental third quarterback would seem to make the most sense. Wilson would seemingly have to make a big jump for a rookie to project in the No. 2 role right away.

Clare Farnsworth of seahawks.com says the team and eight of its draft choices saw benefits in reaching contract agreements sooner rather than later. Seahawks contract negotiator John Idzik: "It’s mutually beneficial. Obviously, we get our draft choices signed. But, from their end, they’re protected under their contract. They don’t have to concern themselves with these lengthy negotiations we’ve had in the past. Now, it’s just all about ball."

Brady Henderson of 710ESPN Seattle passes along thoughts from Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley regarding the team's secondary. Bradley: "Some guys have said, 'Well, they went to the Pro Bowl, and how is that going to affect them?' I know I got a text from Earl Thomas the other night, on Tuesday about 9:45 at night. He was trying to get the code for the DB room, to [watch] film. So right there that shows you their mentality. They'll sneak in here to try to get on the JUGS machine in the indoor practice facility at night. They're just driven that way. I think that's why we're so excited about this group."

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic says the Cardinals haven't gotten enough from their 2009 draft class. Somers: "What stands out to me is that three of the eight players have never played a down in the NFL. Cody Brown was the biggest bust, a second-round pick who couldn't get on the field. And he played a position, outside linebacker, where the Cardinals needed help desperately. The Cardinals released him after one season, and Brown bounced around the league for a couple of years. He couldn't get on the field for anyone else, either. The Lions released him last February."

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com thought outside linebacker was a primary need for the Cardinals in the draft. Urban: "It’s not like the Cards didn’t sack opposing quarterbacks last year. As a team, they had 42, tied for seventh in the NFL. The Cards had an NFL-best nine different guys with at least two sacks. The way defensive coordinator Ray Horton does things, pressure by committee works and is much harder for which to handle. But developing those linebackers, especially the rushers on the outside, is one of the keys to any 3-4 scheme. After passing in the draft, development will be one of the things to watch at the position."

Also from Urban: 2011 second-round pick Ryan Williams feels good about his return from a knee injury.

Matthew Hathaway of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has details on plans to release proposals between the Rams and the local stadium authority. Hathaway: "The CVC maintains that -- as a party to the Rams' lease -- it legally is forbidden from making public any documents considered by the Rams to be confidential. If it does so, according the CVC, the Rams could use the disclosure as grounds to seek an immediate termination of the lease. In the lease, the state is considered a 'sponsor" of the Dome, along with the governments of St. Louis and St. Louis County. Every year since 2005, the three entities together pay off a $24 million chunk of the Dome's $720 million construction debt. Each of the governments also appoints commissioners to the CVC board." Noted: I didn't think the Rams were the ones insisting upon confidentiality.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com says Alex Smith spent time this offseason to work on his mechanics. Smith: "I saw a mechanics guru, or specialist down in L.A. I went there to kind of clean some things up with my motion. I'm really focused on getting my fundamentals better. Really didn't have time last offseason to do it."

Also from Maiocco: Rookie receiver A.J. Jenkins will arrive for the 49ers' camp this weekend with plans to stay in the area.

Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News says Jenkins will skip Illinois' commencement to attend the 49ers' rookie camp.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?

Insider

NFC WEST SCOREBOARD