Five things to watch in NFC West
October, 11, 2009
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Five things I'll be watching for from NFC West teams in Week 5:
- More carries for Beanie Wells. The receivers are getting the attention heading into the Texans-Cardinals game, but Wells' running is a key for Arizona this season. He has looked very good as a runner in limited work this season. Let's see what happens when he gets more touches.
- The Rams actually finishing a drive. Two turnovers deep in Vikings territory have short-circuited an otherwise respectable showing so far.
- Matt Hasselbeck finishing a game. That means no more gutsy quarterback keepers up the middle in the red zone.
- The 49ers' receivers stepping up. Josh Morgan caught a touchdown pass against the Rams, but the 49ers' receivers aren't getting enough chances to get into a rhythm. The 49ers have figured out how to get the ball to tight end Vernon Davis. They need to get the receivers involved next.
- At least one NFC West team winning. All four lost in Week 3. NFC West teams are 1-6 outside the division. Can one of these teams win a game outside the family?