Friday, January 16, 2009
Roided-out NFC West rosters: Week 20
By Mike Sando
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
We've come to that time in the week where we take a (much) closer look at the teams in this division through our latest roided-out NFC West rosters. Download here.
With the Cardinals facing Philadelphia in the NFC Championship Game, I threw in an Eagles roster featuring 25 columns of information for 146 players. Like the rosters for NFC West teams, this one includes players currently on the roster, players signed to future contracts, players on injured reserve and players no longer with the organization.
A few roster-related notes about the Cardinals and Eagles, based on information I track:
- Each has only four players on injured reserve, tied with San Diego for fewest in the league.
- The Eagles are a home-grown team. Only the Colts and Packers have fewer players drafted by other teams. The Eagles have seven. The Cardinals have 14, one fewer than the league averaged for current 53-man rosters.
- The Cardinals have three starters drafted among the top eight overall choices in their draft classes (Larry Fitzgerald, Levi Brown, Antrel Rolle). The Eagles have one (Donovan McNabb) drafted among the top 10 and three drafted among the top 31.
- The Eagles have nine of their own second-round draft choices on their 53-man roster, the highest figure in the league. They are: Kevin Kolb, DeSean Jackson, Brian Dawkins, Sheldon Brown, Winston Justice, L.J. Smith, Reggie Brown, Trevor Laws, Victor Abiamiri.
- The Eagles' and Cardinals' starters are about the same age (28 on average). But the age distribution varies by offense and defense.
- Based on late-season rosters, the Eagles have the ninth-oldest offensive starters and the 20th-oldest defensive starters. Free safety Dawkins was the oldest starting defensive back in the league based on late-season rosters.
- The Cardinals have the 21st-oldest starting offensive players (even with Kurt Warner) and the ninth-oldest starting defensive players.
- The Eagles have the oldest pair of starting offensive tackles in the league, based on late-season rosters. Left tackle Tra Thomas (34) and right tackle Jon Runyan (35) have been around.
- Dawkins and Thomas are the only Philadelphia draft choices remaining on the 53-man roster who joined the team before Andy Reid became head coach in 1999.
- The Cardinals have 10 players from teams currently aligned with the ACC and 10 from teams currently aligned with the Big Ten. Those are relative high numbers. The Eagles have four from each.
- The Eagles drafted four of their current 53 players from teams currently aligned with the Big East. That is tied with the Colts for the league high. The average is 1.2.
- Twelve of the Eagles' 53 players come from college teams currently aligned with the Big East, Conference USA and the WAC. Only the Packers have as many. Arizona has four. Seven is the average.