Monday, September 27, 2010
Silver linings: 49ers at Chiefs
By Mike Sando
The facts: The 49ers fell to 0-3 with a 31-10 road defeat to the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 3.
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The 49ers visit the Atlanta Falcons in Week 4.
- Receiver Dominique Zeigler made an impressive grab for a 19-yard gain on third-and-15 when the game was still close in the third quarter.
- Inside linebacker Takeo Spikes was able to play despite concerns about a knee injury.
- Frank Gore finished with a career-high 102 yards receiving. He's the 49ers' first running back with at least 100 yards receiving since Garrison Hearst caught four passes for 105 yards against Chicago in 2001.
- Joe Nedney made a 51-yard field goal to prevent the 49ers from entering halftime without points.
- Shawntae Spencer picked off a pass early in the second quarter, before either team had scored.
- The 49ers called plays quickly enough to avoid delay penalties or wasted timeouts, an improvement from their previous road game this season.
- San Francisco appeared to avoid serious injuries, although Josh Morgan hurt a knee late in the game.
- The 49ers converted on two of their first three third-down opportunities. Alex Smith found Vernon Davis for 10 yards on third-and-4. He found Gore for a 31-yard gain on third-and-3.