Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Where NFC West teams rank: Week 5
By Mike Sando
A few highlights in looking at where NFC West teams rank in various statistical categories through Week 5:
- No NFC West offense or defense ranks higher than 17th in yards allowed per game.
- The St. Louis Rams fell from fourth to 11th in points allowed per game following their 44-6 defeat at Detroit.
- Every team in the division retained its overall offensive ranking from the previous week.
- The San Francisco 49ers jumped from 15th to fourth in red zone touchdown percentage after scoring on all three chances Sunday night. The 49ers have scored touchdowns on their last five red zone trips spread across three games. The team has scored touchdowns on eight of nine over its last four games.
- The Seattle Seahawks moved up from third to second in rushing yards allowed per game.
- The 49ers climbed from 26th to 18th in third-down defense.
- Despite a strong showing on defense Sunday, the Arizona Cardinals rank 25th or worse in eight of the nine defensive categories listed. It'll take a while to overcome the statistical damage wrought during blowout defeats to Atlanta and San Diego.
The first chart shows where NFC West teams rank on offense after Week 5.
The second chart shows where NFC West teams rank on defense after Week 5.