Monday, October 25, 2010
Silver linings: 49ers at Panthers
By Mike Sando
The facts: The 49ers fell to 1-6 with a 23-20 road defeat to the Carolina Panthers in Week 7.
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The 49ers face the Denver Broncos in London.
- Frank Gore has reached 100 yards rushing in each of his past two games.
- Tight end Vernon Davis had a 53-yard reception and a 1-yarder for a touchdown. He's on pace to finish the season with 73 receptions for 965 yards and nine touchdowns. He finished last season with 78-965-13.
- Ray McDonald's 31-yard interception return for a touchdown broke a 13-13 tie.
- The 49ers' contained Carolina running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart while holding the Panthers to 76 yards rushing, a season low.
- Quarterback Alex Smith did not thrown an interception for the second game in a row.
- The 49ers forced a season-high three turnovers.
- Cornerbacks Nate Clements and Shawntae Spencer forced fumbles. Clements also had a sack.
- The San Francisco Giants' run to the World Series is distracting Bay Area sports fans from the 49ers' struggles.