Monday, November 22, 2010
Silver linings: 49ers vs. Bucs
By Mike Sando
The facts: The 49ers fell to 3-7 with a 21-0 home defeat to the Tampa Bay Bucs in Week 11.
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The 49ers visit the Arizona Cardinals on "Monday Night Football" in Week 12.
- The 49ers remained two games behind division-leading Seattle with six games to play, including one against the Seahawks at Candlestick Park.
- Inside linebacker Patrick Willis collected two sacks and continued to play at a high level. It's important for teams to get a return on their most expensive investments. Willis is producing.
- The 49ers committed only four penalties (one declined), down from 15 last week.
- Rookie receiver Kyle Williams fielded two punts without incident. The team experienced troubles when trusting another rookie, Phillip Adams, to return punts in difficult conditions against New Orleans in Week 2.
- Willis and Takeo Spikes combined for 25 tackles.
- The 49ers generally limited the big play. The Bucs' Josh Freeman finished with 136 yards passing.