Monday, December 20, 2010
Definitive NFC West playoff scenarios
By Mike Sando
The chart shows every possible NFC West outcome as long as none of the remaining games end in a tie.
A few thoughts:
- Seven scenarios have Seattle emerging has champion.
- Six scenarios have St. Louis emerging as champion.
- Three scenarios have San Francisco emerging as champion.
- Eight scenarios have the NFC West champion finishing 8-8.
- Eight scenarios have the NFC West champion finishing 7-9.
- While only three of 16 scenarios favor the 49ers, San Francisco very nearly controls its destiny. The 49ers will be NFC West champs if they win their final two games under three of four such scenarios. The one exception: if Seattle also wins its final two.
And now, on to the chart. The first four column headings show remaining games and the accompanying rows show winners.