Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Numbers games: Seahawks roster in perspective
By Mike Sando
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
The Seahawks have a few tough decisions to make before reducing their roster to 53 players in less than three weeks.
The final spot or two at receiver remain unsettled. I see at least 10 defensive linemen worth keeping, but perhaps no more than eight offensive linemen. The final spots at all three general positions on defense -- line, linebackers and secondary -- could spur debate.
The Seahawks aren't even certain which kicker will earn a roster spot, opening possible trade scenarios for teams with needs at the position.
|Seattle Seahawks |
Week 1 Roster
Counts since 2003
|QB ||RB ||WR ||TE ||OL ||DL ||LB ||DB ||ST |
|Fewest ||2 ||5 ||4 |
|3 ||8 ||8 ||6 ||7 ||3 |
|Most ||3 ||6 ||7 ||4 ||9 ||10 ||8 ||8 ||4 |
|Average ||2.8 ||5.3 ||5.3 ||3.2 ||8.8 ||9.3 ||7.0 ||7.8 ||3.2 |
|Currently on roster |
|8 ||10 ||5 ||14 ||13 ||9 ||13 ||4 |
The chart provides a framework for how many players the Seahawks might keep at each position heading into the regular-season opener against the Rams.
Here's a quick look at which Seahawks players I might keep on the cutdown to 53 players:
- Projected keepers (8) -- Walter Jones, Rob Sims, Chris Spencer, Mansfield Wrotto, Sean Locklear, Ray Willis, Max Unger, Steve Vallos
- Projected to miss cut (6) -- Kyle Williams, Cory Withrow, Grey Ruegamer, Na'Shan Goddard, William Robinson, Andre Ramsey
- Key issue -- The eight projected keepers all could step into a game and play without embarrassing themselves. The drop from eight to nine appears significant. Seattle might be wise to consider adding a veteran tackle as insurance.
- Projected keepers (10) -- Cory Redding, Colin Cole, Brandon Mebane, Patrick Kerney, Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson, Craig Terrill, Red Bryant, Baraka Atkins, Nick Reed
- Projected to miss cut (3) -- Kevin Brown, Michael Bennett, Derek Walker
- Key issue -- Depth appears strong. Atkins or Reed? I might find a way to keep both. Bennett has also shown enough to figure into the conversation.
- Projected keepers (8) -- Kelly Jennings, Marcus Trufant, Deon Grant, Brian Russell, Josh Wilson, Jordan Babineaux, Ken Lucas, C.J. Wallace
- Projected to miss cut (5) -- Travis Fisher, Marquis Floyd, Kevin Hobbs, Courtney Greene, Jamar Adams
- Key issue -- Lucas' addition, Babineaux's versatility and Wallace's value on special teams could make it tough for some of the others, notably Hobbs and Adams. The Seahawks kept seven defensive backs for the opener last season and eight in each of the previous five openers. Every other NFC West team has kept 10 multiple times during that span.
- Projected keepers (3) -- Olindo Mare, Jon Ryan, Kevin Houser
- Projected to miss cut (1) -- Brandon Coutu
- Key issue -- Coutu's depth on kickoffs needs to improve, but Mare's knee is bothering him. Time missed by Mare could swing it toward Coutu, who has made all nine field goal attempts during his preseason career.