Thursday, April 14, 2011
Keeping score: Power rankings by division
By Mike Sando
Not to brag, but the NFC West ranks among the top seven NFL divisions in points accumulated through ESPN.com's ongoing weekly power rankings.
A few notes after breaking down the results to this point:
- Eight panelists have listed 17 pass-rushers, 17 linebackers, 17 tight ends, 16 wide receivers, 15 running backs and 13 head coaches on ballots with 10 slots per position/category.
- Eighty-eight candidates received at least one vote. Seven pass-rushers also received votes as linebackers.
- First-place votes drew 10 points, second-place votes drew nine points, and so on. The NFC North is leading with 503 points to this point.
- The Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals and Seattle Seahawks are the only teams that have not drawn a vote in any category to this point in the balloting.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers (234), Green Bay Packers (226) and Dallas Cowboys (220) have amassed more points than the AFC East (194) to this point.
- Patrick Willis (73), Larry Fitzgerald (63), Vernon Davis (50), Steven Jackson (39), Frank Gore (7), Ken Whisenhunt (6) and Chris Long (1) are the leading scorers among NFC West candidates.
Rankings for cornerbacks are next. They run Tuesday. I'll update these totals then.