Saturday, September 17, 2011
Updated: NFC West roided-out rosters
By Mike Sando
A few roster-related thoughts after making available for download updated 26-column rosters breaking down players who have spent time on NFC West rosters over the last three-plus seasons:
- The St. Louis Rams remain the only team in the division with two quarterbacks on their 53-man roster. Every other team has three. The Rams signed quarterback Tom Brandstater to their practice squad this week. They could always sign him to their 53-man roster if they wanted insurance for Sam Bradford and A.J. Feeley. Tight end Billy Bajema would become the emergency quarterback if Bradford and Feeley were the only quarterbacks on the roster, at least until receiver Danny Amendola returns from a dislocated left elbow.
- The Rams have seven wide receivers, including the injured Amendola and special-teamer Dominique Curry. They also have four tight ends. Those are high numbers for those positions. To find room, the Rams were the only team in the league carrying fewer than eight offensive linemen. They had seven, the number teams generally keep active on game days. The Rams got through practice by carrying two offensive tackles on their practice squad.
- The Seattle Seahawks were one of three teams in the league carrying more than nine offensive linemen on their 53-man roster as the week came to a close. They had 10. With only two tight ends on the roster, the Seahawks have been using unbalanced lines with tackle Tyler Polumbus coming into the game. Signing Eddie Williams as a short-term replacement for injured fullback Michael Robinson led the team to release tight end Dominique Byrd.
- The Arizona Cardinals were one of two teams carrying only six defensive linemen. They run a 3-4 base defense requiring fewer linemen than a 4-3 would require. Still, the Cardinals were one of only 10 teams carrying fewer than 15 linemen and linebackers. They had 14 and could be without injured starting inside linebacker Daryl Washington on Sunday.
- The Rams and San Francisco 49ers were among seven teams with balanced rosters: 25 players on offense, 25 on defense.
- The Rams and Cardinals were among the seven oldest teams in the NFL, not counting specialists. The seven: Pittsburgh, San Diego, New York Jets, Baltimore, Atlanta, St. Louis and Arizona.
- The Seahawks and 49ers were among the eight youngest teams, not counting specialists. The eight: Tampa Bay, Carolina, Seattle, Green Bay, Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincinnati and San Francisco.
The Rams have additional time to adjust their roster for Week 2 because they do not play until Monday night.