Thursday, November 24, 2011
2011 Gridiron Challenge: Rough RB week?
By Mike Sando
Inside the 2011 NFC West Gridiron Challenge after Week 12:
- Leader: msclemons67, again, but with Jay Cutler suffering a broken thumb, it's time to search for another quarterback.
- High score of the week: ChampLeonard and The Big Hurt, each with 156 points. Both got 21 points from the San Francisco 49ers' defense against Arizona, as did our leader.
- Lowest score on first page of leaderboard: 89 points, by kcarter617. Fred Jackson's injury was part of the problem. Denarius Moore?
- My team: tied for 463rd and falling fast (76.1 percentile) after an 80-point week featuring three whole points from the receiver position.
- My wife's team: tied for 730th place and falling. Stands in 58.9 percentile.
- Dan Graziano's team: tied for 493rd and falling (73.7 percentile) after getting two points from his wide receivers.
- Note of the week: It's looking like a rough week for running backs. DeMarco Murray appears less valuable without a healthy fullback. Ray Rice and Frank Gore face tough defenses. Arian Foster and Matt Forte lost their quarterbacks, which could give them more touches in lower-scoring offenses. I'm going with Murray and Rashard Mendenhall because they're reasonably priced and I needed the extra pretend money to buy back Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton at premiums following their bye weeks. Does Steven Jackson get going against an Arizona defense missing nose tackle Dan Williams?
Best of luck to your team this week. Tom Carpenter's column specifically for the Gridiron Challenge does single out Mendenhall, among others, as potential strong values.