Wednesday, December 21, 2011
2011 Seahawks: Dream scenario, Week 16
By Mike Sando
A look at what Seattle Seahawks fans should be rooting for as they monitor the NFC playoff race in Week 16:
Saturday, 1 p.m. ET
Saturday, 4:05 p.m. ET
- Arizona at Cincinnati: a Bengals victory. This would eliminate the Cardinals from the postseason and give them less incentive to beat Seattle in Week 17.
- New York Giants at New York Jets: a Jets victory. Seattle owns a regular-season victory over the Giants, so finishing in a tie with them for a wild-card spot might not be so bad. But a Jets victory would eliminate the Giants from contention. That appeals to other teams fighting for a wild-card berth. In the end, however, the NFC East race might be irrelevant to what happens with Seattle or Arizona, as pointed out by 335iRobot in the comments section of an earlier item. Both the Seahawks and Cardinals would have superior conference records than their NFC East wild-card challengers if more than two wild-card contenders finished 9-7.
Saturday, 4:15 p.m. ET
- San Diego at Detroit: a Chargers victory. One more Lions victory clinches a wild-card berth for Detroit, hurting Seattle.
Sunday, 8:20 p.m. ET
- Philadelphia at Dallas: a Cowboys victory. This scenario, coupled with a Giants victory, delivers a division title to Dallas. The Eagles and Giants would be out of the wild-card picture. The Seahawks lost to the Cowboys during the regular season, but as noted above, Seattle's conference record would seem to favorably break likely ties with two or more NFC teams.
- San Francisco at Seattle: a Seahawks victory. The Seahawks must win their final two games for a shot at the playoffs.
- Chicago at Green Bay: a Bears victory. A Packers victory would eliminate the Bears from contention, but Seattle owns a head-to-head victory over Chicago already. A Bears upset could give the Packers additional incentive to defeat the Lions in Week 17, and any Detroit defeat helps Seattle.
- Atlanta at New Orleans, 8:20 p.m. ET: a Saints victory. The Seahawks need Atlanta or Detroit to lose its remaining games.
Again, let me know if you disagree with any of the rooting advice here. I'd be interested in hearing why. This tagline will work for all related files, once they are posted.