Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Look at 2012 NFC West preseason schedule
By Mike Sando
A few notes after the NFL announced its preseason schedule for the 2012 season:
- The San Francisco 49ers face Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in a nationally televised game in the third week. The third week is generally when teams play their starters the longest.
- Matt Hasselbeck and the Tennessee Titans face the Seahawks in Seattle, Hasselbeck's first game against his former team. That means Matt Flynn makes his Seattle debut against Hasselbeck.
- Seattle travels to Denver for what will be Manning's first home game with the Broncos.
- All four NFC West teams are home in the fourth week of preseason. That's a bonus heading into the regular season. Every AFC West team finishes the preseason on the road, with three of those games against NFC West teams.
- Two of the Arizona Cardinals' five games are televised nationally, beginning with their matchup against New Orleans in the Hall of Fame Game. The Aug. 23 game at Tennessee falls on a Thursday night.
- The St. Louis Rams open the Jeff Fisher era against Indianapolis, the worst team in the NFL last season. That's what we call easing into things. The Rams should welcome the arrangement as they rebuild.
- The NFL wasn't about to schedule another 49ers game against Oakland after violence marred the 2011 preseason game between the teams.
- As miner49er4984 noted in the comments, the 49ers face the Minnesota Vikings in the preseason and again in the regular season. Two matchups with Mike Singletary in one season, then.
The chart shows each team's opponents.