Monday, October 19, 2009
Silver linings: Seahawks vs. Cardinals
By Mike Sando
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
The facts: The Seahawks fell to 2-4 with a 27-3 home defeat to the Cardinals in Week 6.
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The Seahawks visit the Cowboys in Week 8.
- Matt Hasselbeck apparently made it through the game without suffering an injury of significance. That seems remarkable given how much punishment he took in his second game back two broken ribs.
- The Seahawks allowed no pass plays longer than 22 yards while holding Larry Fitzgerald to 7.7 yards per catch. Fitzgerald caught the ball at will, but he had to work for his receptions.
- Seattle briefly turned the momentum in its favor with a 42-yard completion on a fake punt. The call showed a willingness to take chances. The execution was also close to perfect.
- The Seahawks tightened their run defense in the second half after allowing 5.3 yards per attempt through two quarters. Arizona averaged 2.4 yards per carry overall.
- Young linebackers Will Herring and David Hawthorne each had two tackles for loss.
- Patrick Kerney had two more sacks against Arizona. He has 11.5 in five career games against the Cardinals, including 5.0 in two games as a Seahawk.
- The bye week is finally here for Seattle.