Monday, September 10, 2012
Silver linings: Seahawks at Cardinals
By Mike Sando
The facts: The Seattle Seahawks fell to 0-1 with a 20-16 defeat to the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium..
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The Seahawks are home against Dallas in Week 2.
- Leon Washington had an 83-yard kickoff return and a 52-yard punt return. Those plays set up scoring drives producing 10 points.
- Cornerback Richard Sherman picked off a pass. That play set up a field goal.
- Seattle held Arizona to 253 yards and 4.4 per play.
- The Seahawks held a 7-minute advantage in time of possession.
- The defense held Cardinals quarterback John Skelton to one completion on seven attempts in the third quarter.
- Rookie quarterback Russell Wilson completed his first career touchdown pass, a 10-yarder to Sidney Rice.
- Seattle's defensive front, led by Brandon Mebane, held Cardinals running backs Ryan Williams, Beanie Wells and LaRod Stephens-Howling to 27 yards rushing combined and a long run covering nine yards.
- The Seahawks limited record-setting return specialist Patrick Peterson to a 9.3-yard average on four punt returns, with a long return covering 17 yards.