Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Kaepernick third NFC West QB honored
By Mike Sando
Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson combined for eight total touchdowns in Week 15.
They have also recently combined for a couple NFL awards.
Kaepernick is the offensive player of the week for the NFC after tossing four touchdown passes during the San Francisco 49ers' 41-34 victory over New England.
Wilson, who won the award for his efforts against Chicago in Week 13, finished a 50-17 victory over Buffalo on Sunday as the first player in the Super Bowl era with at least one passing touchdown, three rushing touchdowns and 90 yards rushing in the same game.
Three NFC West quarterbacks have now won the weekly NFC award in 2012. The 49ers' Alex Smith won it after completing 18 of 19 passes with three touchdowns against Arizona in Week 8.
That makes 14 weekly award winners from the NFC West for offense, defense or special teams through Week 15. Wilson would have been a worthy winner in Week 15 as well, but racking up stats against the Bills isn't always enough. No 49ers player was honored after San Francisco set a franchise record with 621 yards against the Bills in Week 5.
Recapping NFC West honors to this point in the season:
Note: The 49ers' Smith was also defensive player of the month for November.
- Week 2: Arizona's Calais Campbell wins defensive honors.
- Week 3: Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald wins offensive honors while Seattle's Chris Clemons wins defensive honors.
- Week 4: San Francisco's Patrick Willis (defense) and St. Louis' Greg Zuerlein (special teams) win honors.
- Week 5: St. Louis punter Johnny Hekker wins special-teams honors.
- Week 7: San Francisco's Andy Lee wins special-teams honors.
- Week 8: San Francisco's Smith wins offensive honors.
- Week 10: Richard Sherman wins defensive honors.
- Week 11: Aldon Smith wins defensive honors.
- Week 12: Janoris Jenkins wins defensive honors.
- Week 13: Greg Zuerlein (special teams) and Wilson (offense) win honors.
- Week 15: Kaepernick wins offensive honors.