Thursday, December 27, 2012
Silver linings: Cardinals vs. Bears
By Mike Sando
The facts: The Arizona Cardinals fell to 5-10 with a 28-13 home defeat to the Chicago Bears in Week 16.
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The Cardinals finish the season at San Francisco in Week 17.
- The Cardinals held Bears quarterback Jay Cutler to one completed pass in his first 11 attempts.
- Arizona held Chicago to 23 percent conversions on third down, the second-lowest rate for a Cardinals opponent this season (Minnesota 10 percent).
- Chicago became the fifth Cardinals opponent this season to gain fewer than 300 yards against Arizona.
- The Cardinals held Cutler beneath 50 percent completions. Fellow NFC North quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers (46.7), Matthew Stafford (48.0) and Christian Ponder (47.1) also failed to complete half their passes against Arizona.
- Larry Fitzgerald topped 100 yards receiving for the 34th time in his career and the second time in two games against the Bears.
- Punter Dave Zastudil set an NFL single-season record for punts downed inside the opponent's 20-yard line.
- Defensive back Justin Bethel returned a blocked field goal try 82 yards for a touchdown.