Monday, November 16, 2009
Silver linings: Rams vs. Saints
By Mike Sando
The facts: The Rams fell to 1-8 with a 28-23 home defeat to the Saints in Week 10.
The upside: Even the worst defeats tend to feature a bright spot or two.
Looking ahead: The Rams face the Cardinals at home in Week 11.
- The Rams finished with 434 yards and three touchdowns. Both figures were season highs.
- Steven Jackson rushed for 131 yards and a touchdown. He is averaging better than 100 yards per game rushing and needs only 85 yards against the Cardinals to reach 1,000 for the season. Jackson passed Lawrence McCutcheon for third on the Rams' all-time rushing list.
- Receivers Donnie Avery and Brandon Gibson gave the Rams a badly needed boost at the position. Getting Avery healthy -- or at least healthier -- during the bye week was key. Avery set a career high with two touchdown receptions. Gibson caught seven passes for 93 yards. The yardage total was a season high for a Rams receiver. It was easy to forget that Gibson was a rookie getting substantial playing time for the first time.
- Marc Bulger finished the game with a higher passer rating than Drew Brees.
- Chris Long collected his second sack of the season.
- Both starting safeties picked off passes for the Rams. Oshiomogho Atogwe's pick was his first since the season opener. He has 15 since 2007.