49ers Camp Report: Day 4
July, 27, 2014
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of the San Francisco 49ers training camp:
- Running back LaMichael James' dislocated left elbow (he will likely miss a month) was the injury issue for the 49ers on Sunday. But there were minor scrapes and bruises. Special teamer Kassim Osgood was getting worked on for leg issue, but he seemed fine by the end of practice. Rookie offensive lineman Fouimalo Fonoti left practice with an undisclosed leg issue.
- Starting cornerbacks Tramaine Brock (ankle) and Chris Culliver (recovering from a torn ACL) ended practice early Sunday. But it appears to be simply precautionary for both players. The young cornerbacks got plenty of work in the practice.
- Second-year receiver Quinton Patton had a nice day Sunday. He was very active. Patton has a chance to develop after he finished last season strong.
- Receiver Michael Crabtree and second-year tight end Vance McDonald continued their strong training camps Sunday.
- 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said guard Joe Looney has had some “wow moments.” Looney is working with the first team at right guard with Alex Boone holding out. Looney will very likely start Aug. 7 at Baltimore in the first preseason game unless Boone ends his holdout soon. That, by the way, appears unlikely.
- Harbaugh likes the way all five of his quarterbacks are looking in camp. If I had to guess I’d say McLeod Bethel-Thompson is back on the practice squad with Colin Kaepernick and Blaine Gabbert on the active roster. That would leave out Josh Johnson and Kory Faulkner. Things can change, but that’s the guess four days into training camp.
- Harbaugh said young linebackers Shayne Skov and Chase Thomas are both looking good. That makes Harbaugh happy. He coached them both at Stanford.
- The 49ers activated rookies, center Marcus Martin (third round) and linebacker Aaron Lynch (fifth). They are now ready to practice.
- Nickname of the day: Osgood called massive English defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye “Big London.”
9:30 AM ET Detroit Atlanta 1:00 PM ET St. Louis Kansas City 1:00 PM ET Houston Tennessee 1:00 PM ET Minnesota Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Seattle Carolina 1:00 PM ET Baltimore Cincinnati 1:00 PM ET Miami Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Chicago New England 1:00 PM ET Buffalo New York 4:05 PM ET Philadelphia Arizona 4:25 PM ET Oakland Cleveland 4:25 PM ET Indianapolis Pittsburgh 8:30 PM ET Green Bay New Orleans