Dolphins Camp Report: Day 4
July, 29, 2014
By James Walker | ESPN.com
DAVIE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Miami Dolphins training camp:
- On Tuesday the big story was first-year offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, who spoke with the media for the first time in training camp. Lazor comes from the Chip Kelly school of offense and is implementing a fast-paced scheme that saw a lot of success in Philadelphia last season. Lazor is confident that his group will make major strides in 2014. "It’s my job to show them they can go faster," Lazor said. "It’s my job to take them to places that maybe they didn’t think they could go. Anytime you do that with a player, you see their eyes kind of widen."
- The Dolphins may have some pending center issues on the horizon. With Pro Bowler Mike Pouncey (hip) out for approximately four to eight weeks, there have been some hiccups filling the position early in camp. Shelley Smith has moved from guard to center. But for the second time in four practices, Smith had trouble with the snap. “It’s definitely a concern, but I’m also confident we will clean it up and get it addressed,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “Ball security is the No. 1 thing we talk about every night in training camp.” Also, backup center Sam Brenner was injured Tuesday with an unknown ailment. Nate Garner took over as the No. 2 center.
- Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan continues to have a strong training camp. Jordan had the play of the day on Sunday with a pick-six off quarterback Ryan Tannehill, and Jordan flashed again Tuesday with at least one would-be sack in team drills. The bad news is Jordan is suspended for four games of the regular season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. Jordan will play in the preseason but won’t be available until October.
- Miami worked mostly on red zone drills. This is an area where the Dolphins must be better. The offense performed better than it did at the start of training camp, which is a good sign. Miami settled for a lot of field goals last year and averaged just 19.8 points per game.
- After going full pads on Sunday and Tuesday, the Dolphins will take the field again on Wednesday without pads. Miami is building up in practice to Saturday’s team scrimmage at Sun Life Stadium.
12:30 PM ET Chicago Detroit 4:30 PM ET Philadelphia Dallas 8:30 PM ET Seattle San Francisco
1:00 PM ET Washington Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Houston 1:00 PM ET Cleveland Buffalo 1:00 PM ET San Diego Baltimore 1:00 PM ET New York Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Oakland St. Louis 1:00 PM ET New Orleans Pittsburgh 1:00 PM ET Carolina Minnesota 4:05 PM ET Arizona Atlanta 4:25 PM ET New England Green Bay 8:30 PM ET Denver Kansas City