Ravens Camp Report: Day 10
August, 3, 2014
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Baltimore Ravens training camp:
- Coach John Harbaugh was impressed with the offense, saying that group made "major strides" on Sunday. Joe Flacco had one of his best days of camp with some precise throws. He connected with Marlon Brown and Steve Smith on a couple of deep passes and threw into some tight windows, especially in the red zone.
- There are more concerns for the Ravens at cornerback after Jimmy Smith collided with Asa Jackson. Smith winced and grabbed at his lower back but continued to play. The Ravens then held him out of the rest of practice for precautionary reasons. With Lardarius Webb sidelined with a back injury, Chykie Brown and Asa Jackson were the cornerbacks with the first-team defense.
- In what has been a recurring scene at camp, Chykie Brown was beaten on another deep throw by wide receiver Steve Smith. Brown, however, got a measure of revenge when he stripped Smith after a catch. To rub it in, Brown then did Smith's trademark ball spin.
- Wide receiver Torrey Smith made a couple of remarkable catches. In a one-on-one drill, he somehow pulled in a high pass by catching it over his helmet. Then, in the red zone, he held onto a laser pass from Flacco around the chin area. Safety Brynden Trawick told Smith, "You caught that one in self defense."
- Tight end Owen Daniels has no burst getting off the line and he's been having trouble getting separation. When he did make one catch, he fumbled the ball without getting hit.
- The buzz around undrafted rookie cornerback Deji Olatoye is starting to subside. His latest misstep was getting pulled out of a special teams drill because he lined up wrong on the punt team.
- In what has been a physical battle all camp, left guard Kelechi Osemele mauled over linebacker Josh Bynes and then stood over top of him. It was only last week when Bynes instigated a fight with Osemele.
- Tight end Dennis Pitta and linebacker Elvis Dumervil both received days off.
- Schedule: The Ravens have a 7 p.m. ET practice Monday at Navy-Marine Corps in Annapolis, Maryland. It's free to watch practice, and it's $10 per car for parking.
- Injury wire: CB Lardarius Webb (back) missed his eighth straight practice. ... ILB Daryl Smith (groin) was sidelined for a fifth consecutive day. ... DT Timmy Jernigan (back spasms) returned Sunday but didn't participate in team drills. ... WR Michael Campanaro (ribs) didn't practice after getting injured Saturday. ... There's no timetable for the return of backup G Will Rackley (head). ... NT Terrence Cody (hip) is on the physically unable to perform list. Asked if there was a possibility of Cody returning over next couple of weeks, Harbaugh said, "I'd say no. He's going to rehab the hip for a while."
9:30 AM ET Detroit Atlanta 1:00 PM ET St. Louis Kansas City 1:00 PM ET Houston Tennessee 1:00 PM ET Minnesota Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Seattle Carolina 1:00 PM ET Baltimore Cincinnati 1:00 PM ET Miami Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Chicago New England 1:00 PM ET Buffalo New York 4:05 PM ET Philadelphia Arizona 4:25 PM ET Oakland Cleveland 4:25 PM ET Indianapolis Pittsburgh 8:30 PM ET Green Bay New Orleans