Jets Camp Report: Day 12
August, 4, 2014
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com
CORTLAND, N.Y. -- A daily review of the hot topics from New York Jets training camp:
- Coach Rex Ryan acknowledged the obvious on Monday, saying Geno Smith will start over Michael Vick in the first preseason game. It would've been silly to prolong it, considering the first official depth chart was released before practice. And there it was, in black and white: Smith, listed with the starters, Vick with the backups. A season ago, they went the "slash" route with the first depth chart, listing the quarterback position as Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith. That, of course, was an open competition. The current competition is anything but.
- I asked Ryan if he's giving any thought to the possibility of using the ultra-dangerous Vick as a change-of-pace quarterback. Based on his answer, I got the impression he'd rather mow the grass fields at SUNY-Cortland than try another Tim Tebow situation.
- Calvin Pryor is back. Cleared for contact after a concussion, the Jets' first-round pick returned to practice. Now he's in serious catch-up mode, trying to atone for six missed practices, including the Green & White scrimmage. For a veteran, it's not hard to get up to speed. For a rookie, a week of inactivity is like missing two weeks. Safety is a complex position in Ryan's defense, which explains why he prefers seasoned veterans -- Dawan Landry, Ed Reed, Jim Leonhard, etc. Ryan is bucking a personal trend by counting on a rookie, but he has great expectations for Pryor. Despite the lost time, he could play in the opener.
- Monday's practice was lackluster. Ryan attributed the lack of energy to a heavier-than-usual workload in the Green & White scrimmage on Saturday night. They ran a total of 80 plays, giving extra reps to the starting units. He expects them to be fresh for the Indianapolis Colts. Remember, he promised they'd score a touchdown.
- Moment of the day: In a light moment, defensive lineman Leger Douzable stepped into a special-teams drill as a kickoff returner -- and the 284-pound Douzable promptly fumbled. Hey, it was one of those days.
- Quote of the day: "I'm not afraid. I'll put it out there: I believe in this football team. I believe in this organization. There's no question about that. But do I have to say that, 'Hey, I guarantee that we're going to win a Super Bowl"? I don't need to say that. I don't gain anything by it, but is it a goal of this organization to be a world champion? Of course" -- Rex Ryan
Final San Diego 22 Buffalo 10 Final Dallas 34 St. Louis 31 Final Washington 34 Philadelphia 37 Final Houston 17 New York 30 Final Minnesota 9 New Orleans 20 Final Tennessee 7 Cincinnati 33 Final Baltimore 23 Cleveland 21 Final Green Bay 7 Detroit 19 Final Indianapolis 44 Jacksonville 17 Final Oakland 9 New England 16 Final San Francisco 14 Arizona 23 Final/OT Denver 20 Seattle 26 Final Kansas City 34 Miami 15 Final Pittsburgh 37 Carolina 19