Cardinals Camp Report: Day 8
August, 4, 2014
By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Arizona Cardinals training camp:
- Monday was an impressive day for rookie wide receiver Walt Powell. Fighting for the fifth receiver job, Powell plucked a pass over the head of cornerback Justin Bethel along the sideline and took off into open space. Powell showed his quickness on another catch, when he cut back after securing the pass, freezing cornerback Antonio Cromartie in his tracks. During a drill in which the offense had 19 seconds to go 60 yards, Powell hauled in a 32-yard pass from Drew Stanton that put the Cardinals in field goal range. Powell is making a strong case to make the 53-man roster because Powell is also taking reps as a kick and punt returner.
- Ted Ginn also had a strong day, hauling in a couple of nice passes including one from Carson Palmer that he had to come back for. The offense was working inside the 10-yard-line when Ginn blew by the defense and overran the pass a little but was able to come back and make the catch. Ginn also drew a congratulatory high five from Palmer later in practice for landing a block that allowed another pass to be completed.
- The third team, led by Logan Thomas, struggled to execute the no-huddle offense Monday. Starting around midfield, the third team couldn't get set in the right position and Thomas couldn't get the play off. Arians said the no-huddle offense will be used more this season because Palmer has experience in it.
- Feely went 6-for-7 on field goals, hitting from 33, 37, 39, 44, 47 and 50. He missed from 47. During a drill in which the offense had to go 60 yards in 19 seconds, Feely missed two field goals, one of which was tipped.
- Earl Watford split series with Jonathan Cooper at left guard during the last half of practice.
5:44 3rd Qtr Cleveland 16 Atlanta 14 13:38 3rd Qtr Tennessee 17 Philadelphia 27 7:16 3rd Qtr Detroit 6 New England 24 6:42 3rd Qtr Green Bay 14 Minnesota 13 6:46 3rd Qtr Jacksonville 3 Indianapolis 13 5:39 3rd Qtr Cincinnati 16 Houston 10 9:52 3rd Qtr Tampa Bay 10 Chicago 7 4:05 PM ET Arizona Seattle 4:05 PM ET St. Louis San Diego 4:25 PM ET Miami Denver 4:25 PM ET Washington San Francisco 8:30 PM ET Dallas New York Postponed New York Buffalo
7:00 PM ET New York Buffalo 8:30 PM ET Baltimore New Orleans