Jaguars Camp Report: Day 10
August, 5, 2014
By Michael DiRocco | ESPN.com
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Jacksonville Jaguars training camp.
- The receivers had a much better day on Tuesday after what was a terrible performance on Monday, when they dropped multiple passes while running routes against air. Marqise Lee made a great catch along the sideline on an out pattern in which he quickly got both feet in bounds. Lamaar Thomas made a one-handed catch and also snatched a ball out of the air above his head as he was coming out of a break. Mike Brown, who has been the most dependable receiver in camp, and Blake Bortles hooked up for a deep pass down the right sideline. There were still a few drops -- Chad Bumphis and Kerry Taylor had the most notable -- but the position group earned post-practice praise from Gus Bradley.
- Running back Toby Gerhart sat out his fourth consecutive practice with a hip flexor injury and Bradley said they'll decide on whether Gerhart can play in Friday's preseason opener against Tampa Bay. He wants to see him on the field, though. "Maybe it's just five plays -- just give him a feel for it," Bradley said. "But again we'll err on being more conservative."
- Rookie guard Brandon Linder returned to practice after missing the last three practices with a sprained foot. He had been working with the first-team offense before his injury but worked with the second unit on Tuesday. Jacques McClendon took reps with the first team.
- The Jaguars introduced some of Tampa Bay's offense and defense but there won't be significant game-planning for the Bucs, who visit EverBank Field on Friday night. One of the players who helped out running the Bucs' offense was newly-signed linebacker Josh Hull. The sixth-year veteran, who had been in camp with New England until late last week, worked at tight end and caught one pass. He said it's the first time he's lined up at tight end since high school.
- The Jags gave defensive end Chris Clemons and offensive tackle Austin Pasztor a day off. The following players also sat out with injuries: safety Johnathan Cyprien (hip flexor), receiver Tandon Doss (ankle), linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring), guard Brandon Linder (foot), receiver Allen Robinson (hamstring), receiver Cecil Shorts (hamstring), receiver Allen Hurns (hip flexor) and tight end Clay Harbor (calf).
- Defensive end Tyson Alualu was involved in his second training-camp scuffle, this time with left guard Zane Beadles. It came during pass-rush/pass-block drills and the players were immediately surrounded as teammates broke up the scuffle. It was hard to see exactly what happened but Beadles came out of the mass of bodies without his helmet. Alualu also had a scuffle with tight end Clay Harbor earlier in camp.
- The Jaguars are back on the practice field at 9:55 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
Final Chicago 17 Detroit 34 Final Philadelphia 33 Dallas 10 Final Seattle 19 San Francisco 3
1:00 PM ET Washington Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Houston 1:00 PM ET Cleveland Buffalo 1:00 PM ET San Diego Baltimore 1:00 PM ET New York Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Oakland St. Louis 1:00 PM ET New Orleans Pittsburgh 1:00 PM ET Carolina Minnesota 4:05 PM ET Arizona Atlanta 4:25 PM ET New England Green Bay 8:30 PM ET Denver Kansas City