Saints Camp Report: Day 10
August, 5, 2014
By Mike Triplett | ESPN.com
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of New Orleans Saints training camp:
- Time for your daily Brandin Cooks highlight reel: The Saints' dynamic rookie receiver had two nifty catches in Tuesday's practice. He burned cornerback Trevin Wade with a sharp cut for a big gain on a screen pass. And he caught a touchdown pass in the back of the end zone from Luke McCown. ... Normally, rookies have to adjust to the “speed of the NFL game.” But Cooks was asked whether he feels like he's reversing that trend and making defenders adjust to his speed. “Well, I have to use my strengths to my advantage, and that's my speed. As far as the speed of the game, it's not that much different to me,” Cooks said. “But how smart people are, that's the different part from college to the NFL. That's where you have to work on your game.”
- It's been Corey White's turn to stand out in the Saints' cornerback carousel this week. The third-year pro has now had interceptions on back-to-back days after snagging a Ryan Griffin pass that was intended for Brandon Coleman on Tuesday. White also had an impressive pass break-up against QB Luke McCown on a pass intended for tight end Jimmy Graham. At different times this summer, both Champ Bailey and Patrick Robinson have stood out. But the physical White remains very much in that mix for either the No. 2 cornerback job or a prominent role in nickel/dime packages -- even though he went through some highs and lows as a replacement starter last year. “We really like him,” Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said. “We love him as an inside corner, but he has done some good things outside as well. We're excited about him. He started for us down the stretch and did a really good job in those games. We know he's an ascending player and he's going to be really good.”
- Third-year guard Marcel Jones got an extended audition with the first-string offense Tuesday after starting right guard Jahri Evans left practice for an undisclosed reason. Jones did most of the work in team drills -- though backup Jason Weaver also took a turn. I didn't notice anything extraordinarily good or bad from Jones in Tuesday's practice. But he has impressed me at times during camp, and he has tackle/guard versatility, which is why I bumped him up onto my projected 53-man roster earlier this week. If Jones gets an extended look with the starters, it could certainly help make or break his chances.
- Second-year defensive end Glenn Foster is another guy who has stood out to me a handful of times in team and individual drills throughout camp. He missed Monday's practice with an undisclosed injury. But he was back in pads Tuesday and didn't look like he missed a beat.
- The Saints are scheduled to have another full practice day on Wednesday (8:50 a.m. ET practice followed by 4:30 p.m. walk-through). Then they'll be off Thursday as they travel to St. Louis for Friday night's preseason opener against the Rams.
12:30 PM ET Chicago Detroit 4:30 PM ET Philadelphia Dallas 8:30 PM ET Seattle San Francisco
1:00 PM ET Washington Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Houston 1:00 PM ET Cleveland Buffalo 1:00 PM ET San Diego Baltimore 1:00 PM ET New York Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Oakland St. Louis 1:00 PM ET New Orleans Pittsburgh 1:00 PM ET Carolina Minnesota 4:05 PM ET Arizona Atlanta 4:25 PM ET New England Green Bay 8:30 PM ET Denver Kansas City