Cardinals Camp Report: Day 9
August, 5, 2014
By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Arizona Cardinals training camp:
- Third-string quarterback Ryan Lindley sat out Tuesday’s practice for an unknown reason. He didn’t wear pads or a helmet but went through early non-contact drills with the rest of the quarterbacks. Lindley did have a compression sleeve on his left leg.
- John Brown was back at practice.
- Without Lindley practicing, rookie quarterback Logan Thomas saw more snaps and more attention. During 7-on-7 drills, he got every snap with the third team under the watchful eye of assistant head coach Tom Moore. But during that drill, his receivers had a case of the drops. During one stretch, running Jalen Parmele dropped a pass while tight end Troy Niklas dropped two, and Thomas was intercepted by Anthony Walters. It was a combination of defensive pressure and the velocity of Thomas’ passes that caused the receivers to miss the passes.
- The offense did a lot of work on both goal lines, specifically from the opponents' 2 and its 8-yard lines, respectively.
- As the battle for the starting kicker job wages on, rookie Chandler Catanzaro is becoming less consistent every practice. On Tuesday, he went 5-for-9, making kicks from 37, 44, 45, 47 and 50 while missing from 33, 39, and 52 twice. The job won’t be won or lost in camp, Arians has been consistent in saying. He wants to see how Catanzaro performs during games before he makes a final decision.
- The Cardinals practice Wednesday from 2-4:30 p.m. at University of Phoenix Stadium. Admission and parking is free.
- Injury update: Besides Lindley, G Jonathan Cooper, T Nate Potter and TE Jake Ballard didn’t practice. Dan Williams appeared on the field late into practice without pads or a helmet.