Cowboys Camp Report: Day 13
August, 5, 2014
By Todd Archer | ESPN.com
OXNARD, Calif. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Dallas Cowboys training camp:
- When Tyler Patmon left practice with a sore hip, the Cowboys were left with only three healthy cornerbacks -- Orlando Scandrick, B.W. Webb and Terrance Mitchell. Morris Claiborne will not play Thursday. Sterling Moore is unlikely to play. Brandon Carr has yet to report to camp because of the death of his mother. The Cowboys are looking at adding two defensive backs, Korey Lindsey and Johnny Thomas, who could be asked to play against the Chargers despite not having any practice time.
In practice, safety Ryan Smith lined up at cornerback. Jakar Hamilton, a safety, was taken some turns at corner as well but he got hurt Sunday.
“We’re struggling with numbers,” secondary coach Jerome Henderson said. “We’ve got to get some guys healthy. We’ve got to get guys back, so we’re doing the best we can.”
The Cowboys are thin at safety too with Barry Church (ankle), Matt Johnson (hamstring) and Hamilton slowed.
The numbers were so low that Henderson took some turns on the scout-team defense, which was a first for him. He joked during the practice about picking off a pass intended for Gavin Escobar.
“I think I would’ve pulled every muscle in my body trying,” Henderson said.
He was not afraid of taking a hit, but he knows his players will be anxiously looking at the film of the practice.
“I’m sure it will be the highlight of the day for them to give me a minus,” Henderson said.
- Tony Romo did not practice Tuesday and will likely not play against the Chargers. From the look of the practice snaps, it doesn’t look like DeMarco Murray or Dez Bryant will see any action either. The first-team offensive line, however, was intact during the session.
- A big focus of the practice was on San Diego, with the Cowboys’ offense running eight plays against the scout-team defense. The defense saw 12 plays from the scout-team offense. Running back Ben Malena took a pretty good shot from linebacker Justin Durant. Adewale Ojomo had would-be sack of Dustin Vaughan, but coordinator Rod Marinelli warned him to stay off the quarterback so a throw could be made.
- Scandrick had a nice pick in the end zone of Brandon Weeden on a throw to the post for Dez Bryant, undercutting the throw for his second interception in three practices. Wide receiver Devin Street made a good leaping catch for a score over Webb, pulling the ball away as the two fell to the ground.
- The Cowboys travel to San Diego on Wednesday and not practice before Thursday’s preseason opener against the San Diego Chargers.
Final Philadelphia 24 Washington 27 Final/OT San Diego 38 San Francisco 35
8:30 PM ET Seattle Arizona Final Minnesota 35 Miami 37 Final Baltimore 13 Houston 25 Final Detroit 20 Chicago 14 Final Cleveland 13 Carolina 17 Final Atlanta 30 New Orleans 14 Final Green Bay 20 Tampa Bay 3 Final Kansas City 12 Pittsburgh 20 Final New England 17 New York 16 Final New York 37 St. Louis 27 Final Buffalo 24 Oakland 26 Final Indianapolis 7 Dallas 42