Bills Camp Report: Day 21
August, 9, 2014
By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com
PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Buffalo Bills training camp:
- It's an unusual occurrence in today's NFL, but the Bills were back on the practice field Saturday night after traveling back from a road game in the early morning hours. As such, players were in light shoulder pads and the session was significantly shorter -- about 1 hour, 45 minutes. Coach Doug Marrone said the Bills may also dial it back Sunday (a 2 p.m. practice) before ramping it up next week as they get set for joint practices with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Left tackle Cordy Glenn was removed from the non-football illness list and took part in positional warm-up drills, which was another step forward. Marrone stressed that the Bills are still easing him back into action and haven't decided on what they'll do with Seantrel Henderson, who has started at left tackle in Glenn's place. Henderson ran with the second team in warm-up drills.
- Guard Chris Williams, who has a back injury, headlined the list of players out of action in Saturday's practice. In his place, rookie Cyril Richardson ran with the first team. In addition to Williams, the Bills were also without cornerback Ron Brooks (thigh) and linebacker Ty Powell (medical), who both played in Friday's game. Wide receiver Marquise Goodwin (hamstring), safety Kenny Ladler (undisclosed), safety Jonathan Meeks (neck), safety Derek Brim (hip), cornerback Leodis McKelvin (hip surgery), and tight end Tony Moeaki (hamstring) were also held out with preexisting injuries.
- Team drills were heavy on 7-on-7 third-down situations. The Bills had trouble on third downs last season and went 4-for-12 Friday night, so there is a spotlight on that phase of the game. The first-team offense wasn't sharp, which was understandable given the quick turnaround. Manuel found Sammy Watkins down the right sideline on his first pass but Watkins had a rare drop. Later, a Manuel pass intended for tight end Scott Chandler was tipped by safety Da'Norris Searcy and intercepted by linebacker Nigel Bradham. On the next play, Robert Woods stopped on his route, leading to an easy interception that cornerback Ross Cockrell dropped. Things picked up on Manuel's final series when he connected with Mike Williams on a floater down the right sideline.
- From the "don't read too much into it" department: Safety Aaron Williams ran with the second team during team drills, as did linebacker Brandon Spikes at one point. In their place, Preston Brown and Duke Williams were part of the top unit. In all likelihood, that was more a case of the Bills wanting to get those younger players time with the top group more than it was an indictment of Spikes or Aaron Williams' performances Friday.
12:30 PM ET Chicago Detroit 4:30 PM ET Philadelphia Dallas 8:30 PM ET Seattle San Francisco
1:00 PM ET Washington Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Houston 1:00 PM ET Cleveland Buffalo 1:00 PM ET San Diego Baltimore 1:00 PM ET New York Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Oakland St. Louis 1:00 PM ET New Orleans Pittsburgh 1:00 PM ET Carolina Minnesota 4:05 PM ET Arizona Atlanta 4:25 PM ET New England Green Bay 8:30 PM ET Denver Kansas City