49ers Camp Report: Day 13
August, 10, 2014
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
A daily review of the hot topics coming out of the San Francisco 49ers training camp:
- The San Francisco 49ers may be soon start to worry about guard as Alex Boone's holdout drags on. Key veteran backup Adam Snyder on Sunday had to leave a joint practice with the Baltimore Ravens with an apparent knee injury. More information is expected in the next day or so. Snyder is insurance at guard and he could see time at Boone's right guard spot if Boone's holdout continues and current starter, Joe Looney, struggles. Looney had some difficultly in the preseason opener against the Ravens.
- Receiver Quinton Patton (undisclosed) and rookie linebacker Shayne Skov (foot) were also banged up Sunday. There is no word how serious either issue is.
- One of the best battles of the workouts this weekend has been 49ers’ left tackle Joe Staley facing Baltimore pass rusher Terrell Suggs.
- “That’s a really good matchup,” 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said Sunday. “Two very good players. Joe’s doing a good job. Suggs obviously gives him a lot of things to worry about. His style is a unique style. You remember when he was getting drafted, people were all enamored with his 40 time and there was a lot of debate. I think he’s pretty much squelched that debate. So, just for Joe, it’s a great challenge every day to sharpen his blade.”
- Tight end Vance McDonald (undisclosed) and defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye (ankle) sat out for the second straight day.
- After a good day for his unit, 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said he was pleased to get this work in with the Ravens. “I’ve done over 20 of these joint practices in my days, and they’re always very good and very beneficial,” Fangio said.
- It’s no surprise star pass-rusher Aldon Smith shined during these practices. Both Ravens coach John Harbaugh and Fangio lauded Smith’s play. He met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday in New York. Goodell is expected to make a decision on disciplinary action against Smith in the next week or two.
- Roman praised the work of center Daniel Kilgore and rookie receiver Bruce Ellington.
- The 49ers conclude their work with the Ravens at 10:30 a.m. ET Monday. They will then fly home.
9:30 AM ET Detroit Atlanta 1:00 PM ET St. Louis Kansas City 1:00 PM ET Houston Tennessee 1:00 PM ET Minnesota Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Seattle Carolina 1:00 PM ET Baltimore Cincinnati 1:00 PM ET Miami Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Chicago New England 1:00 PM ET Buffalo New York 4:05 PM ET Philadelphia Arizona 4:25 PM ET Oakland Cleveland 4:25 PM ET Indianapolis Pittsburgh 8:30 PM ET Green Bay New Orleans