Around the AFC East: Bruschi says Favre should stop
July, 30, 2008
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
New England Patriots
- LB Tedy Bruschi explains to Boston Herald columnist Tony Massarotti why Brett Favre should stay retired. "When you say you're going to hang it up, that's got to be your (final) decision," Bruschi said.
- Providence Journal reporter Shalise Manza Young checks in on the Tank Williams experiment. Is he a LB? He claims he's not sure.
- He wasn't exactly Steve Tasker for the Bills, but the Patriots saw enough out of WR Sam Aiken to sign him up for their special teams.
- K Stephen Gostkowski said his lack of long field-goal attempts last year was because the offense was so good it rarely left him too far away.
- Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reporter Sal Maiorana writes WR Lee Evans was staunchly behind J.P. Losman in last year's QB controversy, but Trent Edwards has won him over. Good thing because Edwards will be the one throwing him the ball.
- Losman missed Tuesday night's sloppy practice under the lights with a swollen passing thumb.
- The Bills pray DT John McCargo can overcome his faulty foot to make an impact. "We are hoping like hell that he can take that next step and play like we hoped," D-line coach Bill Kollar told the Buffalo News.
- Miami Herald columnist Greg Cote writes about RB Ricky Williams' self-reclamation project. Not many outside South Florida have addressed what, at the moment, seems a tired tale, but Williams' return will become the team's biggest storyline of '08.
- The Miami Herald headline says WR Derek Hagan is "getting rave reviews." But if he were really standing out, then they probably wouldn't be going after Terry Glenn.
- Carlos Frias of the Palm Beach Post catches up with young ILB Channing Crowder, who has the unenviable task of replacing the beloved Zach Thomas.
New York Jets
- At a time when most everybody else has been wishy-washy about the Jets' quarterback situation, Chad Pennington is refreshingly blunt. New York Times columnist William C. Rhoden is convinced Pennington should be the starter.
- Newsday beat reporter Eric Boland writes CB/KR Justin Miller is happy to be on his feet after missing much of last year's camp with a bum hammy and blowing out his right knee in Week 2.
- J.P. Pelzman of the Bergen Daily Record takes a look at G Alan Faneca's role in anchoring the Jets offensive line.
- Another big-ticket free agent, OLB Calvin Pace, is trying to overcome perceptions in Arizona he was a bust.
7:30 PM ET Carolina New England 7:30 PM ET New York New York 7:30 PM ET Jacksonville Detroit 8:00 PM ET Oakland Green Bay 10:00 PM ET Chicago Seattle
4:30 PM ET Tampa Bay Buffalo 7:00 PM ET Dallas Miami 7:00 PM ET Tennessee Atlanta 7:30 PM ET Washington Baltimore 8:00 PM ET New Orleans Indianapolis 8:00 PM ET St. Louis Cleveland 8:00 PM ET Minnesota Kansas City 9:00 PM ET Houston Denver